Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Arriving in Cork.. or as they say it, Cark

     It is roughly 1:30am in Cork and I cannot sleep so I thought I would post about my journey across the pond. Side note, my body is freezing and the only warmth I have is the blanket I took from the airplane and that is not very warm needless to say!! Back to my journey... So i get to the airport to find out that not only is my flight delayed in The States, but I am not going to make my connection in London unless I am Superman, which we all know I move at the slowest pace ever, but they still said that they were going to leave me booked on that flight, just in case, ha. I said okay, but figured there was not a chance in hell that I would make the plane, so they also booked me on a later flight.
      Moving forward, I get on the plane and have to do a double take because I saw a DU water bottle next to me. It turns out that the couple sitting next me had a daughter that graduated from DU in '08, so I was able to ask them a lot of questions about her experience and enjoy my flight with a fraction less of my original nerves.
     Upon arrival at Heathrow, I booked it off the plane and made the first bus to Terminal 1! I was running up escalators and over people, well maybe not literally, but running none the less. I get to passport check to find out that I needed to fill out this card that i told myself I did not have to, twice. So I completed the card only to get stuck behind 3 elderly people in line. Past that I have to have my picture taken and go through security again, where of course I have to get patted down and have my laptop wanded.
     Finally arriving within the terminal, I see that my plane is closing, so I book it, at least a mile, to see my plane still sitting there, but unfortunately, unable to board because that is what they do in Europe, ugh! I along with 5 other people had to sit in the airport for 4 hours without any British pounds, so I was unable to buy anything to drink!
     17:30 rolls around and I am finally able to board the plane, to discover you are only able to purchase food and drink, so I slept until I reached the bitter cold land I shall call home for the next 3 months. I made my way to the passport check to find the nicest man who ironically has spent time in Legacy Ridge, a subdivision roughly 10 min. away from ny house back in Westminster!! I then got in a Taxi with a driver who didn't know where my lodging was, but was able to find it anyways!
     I arrived and met my 4 roommates, 2 from France and 2 from Chicago, all extremely nice!! I do already miss home, but you are just 97 days away from me and within that time I plan to make many memories to share with you!!!

Until then... Slàinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment